How to use Watch2gether?

How to use Watch2Gether

Watch2Gether is a social video website that allows you to watch videos and other content in-sync with others. In the following you learn how to use Watch2Gether and its features.

Watch2Gether is not a streaming service where one user broadcasts and the others are just watching. Instead every user in a room can by default browse for content and select videos or audio tracks to be played for everyone in the room.

The site supports a wide range of content sources such as Youtube, Dailymotion, Vimeo, and Soundcloud. For unsupported sources you can use the W2gSync feature which can synchronize external sources with the help of our browser extension.

Creating a Room

You can create a room from the frontpage of Watch2Gether (https://www.watch2gether.com) by clicking on Create your Room

By default a random user name is assigned to you. You can change the name by clicking on it in your user avatar beneath the video player.

com

A Watch2Gether room is automatically deleted after 24 hours. If you want to keep your room, you have the option to save it. Before you can save rooms, you have to create a free Watch2Gether account.

Inviting Friends

In a new room you are the only user who is present. Although you can use Watch2Gether just by yourself the fun begins when you invite some friends to watch with you. To do so, click on the add user icon on the right side of the user list.

All rooms are private by default. The link to a room is nowhere published on Watch2Gether and there are no random users send to your room automatically. However, there are no limitation where you can share the link yourself.

Send the displayed link to one or more of your friends. You can use any possible way to send the link. Email, Facebook, WhatsApp, Skype, …

When your friend(s) have joined the room, they appear in the userlist beneath the video player.

com

The user avatars can have little icons attached to them:

• A “Crown” icon: This user is the owner (creator) of a room.
  • A “Plus” icon: This user is a Watch2Gether +PLUS member.

Selecting Videos

In a Watch2Gether room you can select and view videos from various supported platforms such as Youtube, Vimeo, Soundcloud and many others…

Search

Every content selection starts with the search bar at the top of the page.

Watch2Gether has a number of build-in apps that add support for various content platforms. By clicking on the apps symbol on the left side of the search bar you can see which Watch2Gether apps are available.

After you have selected an app you can use the search bar to search for content on the related platform. The icon of the currently selected app / platform is displayed on the left side of the search input field.

The results of the search are displayed under the video player. By clicking on the thumbnail or the video title the video is loaded and shown in the video player.

Now everyone in the room sees the same video. The video is shown in-sync which means that everyone sees the same moment of the video and accordingly when a user clicks on the Pause button the video will be paused for every user in the room.

Direct Link

Sometimes you might already have a direct link to a piece content (a link to a Youtube video for example) and you would like to play the link in a Watch2Gether room.

In this case you can simply paste that link into the search bar. You don’t have to select the related Watch2Gether app beforehand. The related app is auto-selected and the video can be played from the search results.

Using the Chat

While watching the video together, you can talk to your friends through the built-in chat, which is located right of the video. Simply type a message into the field at the bottom of the chat and hit enter.

Moderate your Room

By default all users in a Watch2Gether room have the right to search for videos and play them in the room. This works well in a room with a smaller number of users and is the way Watch2Gether is intended to be used. However, there are situations where you want to have more control over the content being played in your room.

By enabling one of the Room Moderation Options, only the owner of a room has the right to perform certain actions in a room. To do so, click on the Settings Icon in the top right corner of a room you own to open the Room Settings.

com

Scroll down in the settings dialog to the Enable Moderation section:

com

When enabled, the options have the following impact on the room :

• Members only: New users who are coming to the room have to be approved by the room owner.
  • Selected video: Only the room owner can select videos to be played in the room.
  • Player: Only the room owner can control the playback of a video (play, pause, seek…)
  • Playlist: Only the room owner can change playlists.
  • Colors: Only the room owner can change the appearance of a room (colors and background image).

Using Playlists

Instead of playing a video directly, you can add it to a playlist. To do so, click on the Add to Playlist Icon at the bottom of a video in the search results. The video is then added to the currently selected playlist.

com

The current playlist is shown can can be selected in the sidebar on the left side of the room. In a new room there is only one playlist called Watch2Gether Default. You can add additional playlists in the Playlist Manager by clicking on the settings icon next to the name of the current playlist.

Keyboard Shortcuts

Watch2Gether supports a couple of Keyboard Shortcuts for your convenience.
Watch2Gether Keyboard Shortcuts

Your Watch2Gether Account

The core features of Watch2Gether can be used without an account. However, creating a free account has the following benefits:

• You can save your rooms so that they are not deleted after 24 hours
  • You can pick a custom avatar image
  • You don’t have to select a nickname every time you enter a room
  • You get an overview of all rooms you participate in
  • You have the option to upgrade your account to a Watch2Gether +PLUS membership

Go here to create a free account: Sign Up

Support

Please get in touch if you have any further questions or issues using Watch2Gether: florian@watch2gether.com

16 Likes

Hey! Is there a way I can share my screen onto the watch2gether screen? in sync

2 Likes

Hi @maxiswar right now there is no screenshare option. But we have plans to develop a Watch2Gether App that allows users to do that!

4 Likes

Then what’s the point of having an app that allows you to share your screen into the app IF IT’S JUST FOR YOU?

9 Likes

Hi @pedrodino2010 when you use W2gSync the video plays in separate window for every user in the room. The screen share option allows you to map the video into the room so that its more convenient to watch and chat at the same time. I agree that this is a bit difficult to understand. I’ll update the documentation on this next week.

1 Like

i created a room and now im no longer the creator/admin
and my profile appears twice in the users section under the video player
please fix

1 Like

You have probably cleared your cookies or logged out of your account in-between the sessions in the room. Please make sure you are logged in your Watch2Gether account before creating a room to make sure the room is associated to your account.

1 Like

ok. that does not help. please fix it

1 Like

Please try to create a new room when you are logged in. Do you see the same problem there? If yes there is most likely an issue with your browser. Please try to disable any 3rd party extension you have installed one by one and see if that makes a difference.

1 Like

i do not wish to create a new room. i want to be able to use the one i already have with all the videos i have added to the playlists
the bug is from your side, you need to fix it and improve the admin settings
to allow the creator to assign admin permissions to other users

1 Like

“We have PLANS to to DEVELOP…” By this I take it this is a long way off?

1 Like

Please let us stream other websites besides these three otherwise this website would be perfect!!

Thank You!!!

Hi, is it possible to upload private mp3’s to a room to listen to only with the other ppl you invite to the room? there is no public video link for the music i want to listen to with my friends in the room

Thanks for your feedback! This is unfortunately not possible.

Hi - is it possible to record the watched video and chat output of a room for future playback, social sharing and/or broadcast?

1 Like

I’d like to know that too!

Hi! No it’s currently not possible to record a Watch2Gether session. But it’s a nice idea :slight_smile:

1 Like