Auto-enable video captions

When watching a playlist where each video has subtitles, it’s a bit of a pain to have to re-enable captions each time. Especially since in fullscreen, there aren’t any video buttons to do so, requiring you to exit out each time.

Is it possible to have youtube captions enable themselves each time if a button is checked?

1 Like

Hey I saw you had the same issue as I did – I’m not sure when the dev(s) will be able to get to such a thing (and no shade on them, it’s always difficult working with other APIs) but I made a greasemonkey script to auto-enable CC with ‘English’ in the name. You can edit it if you need to, but apologies if it doesn’t work for your purposes

Anyway, here! https://pastebin.com/sD9W76t5

Thanks for your contribution :slight_smile:

1 Like

This works perfectly, thank you so much! It makes watching videos much easier when you want to relax, so I really appreciate it :). Thank you!

1 Like

Hello, one year later!

The newest update seems to have broken the script :(. I don’t know enough about programming at the moment to sort it out, but I’m assuming since the captions is now in a different area, there must be some different way to refer to it in the code. Any suggestions?

(Sorry for the literal one year old ping… :cold_sweat:)

Hey there! It’s no problem. I was just about to tell you that I gave up, but I hit a breakthrough in tinkering with a script, so try this out: w2g Auto English CC 2.0 - Pastebin.com

It should kick in after 1 second (1000 ms) but you can edit the timing if you want. Hopefully it mostly works! It got a little tricky as they added iframes but I managed eventually.

paperlanty, you are my hero!! I wish I could express my thanks beyond just words, but I super appreciate it! I hope one day w2g will add an auto caption feature themselves, but for now I very much appreciate it.

1 Like

This script was a 3rd party contribution and is therefore not officially supported by Watch2Gether. I think it broke because we changed our player system. We always welcome contributions but please bear in mind that you are using this at your own risk!

Seems to have broken again. I hope we can see W2G implement an official way to auto-enable captions in the future :(.