Add a function to loop segments of a video

I like that you can loop songs in W2G, it’s a great feature, but I like to use W2G to set an ambience for my players when we play our TTRPGs. Sometimes, what we find on the internet doesn’t loop well or has an awkward silence at the end/start that breaks up the immersion when you can clearly hear the song end and start over. I know some add-ons on my browser that adds a feature to tell when it should loop a segment of a video. Do you think there’s a chance this can be added to W2G as well?

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for your feedback! I think this would be possible but it’s quite a niche feature and would make the UI more complex. But i’ll think about it once more…

3 Likes

That would be really awesome. I definitely have the same need here.

These days using W2G for online TTRPGs sessions is clearly not as niche as you’d think!

Thanks a lot for your input. I’d like to learn more about how Watch2Gether is being used for TTRPG. Can you explain that a little bit? Thanks :slight_smile:

Sure, happy to. We often use Watch2Gether to play background music during remote sessions. And I know a lot of people are!

We share a link to the party, and the game master controls the music that plays during the game session, to fit the mood. It’s kind of the manual version of what happens when you play a video game and the music changes based on the scene, whether it’s exploration, combat, an emotional moment…
Most of the time, scenes last for a few 10s of minutes, often about half an hour. In that case, I don’t want to be distracted by having to replay the music video every 2min, or think that I need to skip the intro/outro of the video every time it loops.

It would be really useful if we could add a section of a video to a playlist, and enable the automatic looping for that video (or even better, as a global setting). This way, I’d be able to play a section of a video on repeat by just clicking it, and not have to worry about it until I need to change to a different background music.

Hi! I just saw that this thread is now active again and I’d like to second everything the user before me has said. W2G continues to be my main way for me to dictate the narrative soundscape of my scenes- and is especially important for that role as it’s used frequently in my friend group as many of us are game masters who use it for the ideal purpose of setting the tone.

Many good songs exist out there but are usually restricted purely to Youtube and will more often than not have an intro-end card section that will ruin the flow of our session if not addressed properly- which can really drag down a mood if a certain song on youtube has a unique identity to it that can’t be easily found elsewhere on either the platform itself or alternatives such as Soundcloud.

Usually when we use W2G for our TTRPGS we have it in the background while we do our business on a separate app such as Roll20 or Foundry, or even on Discord in my case where we do most of our heavy lifting and typing. It’s options for me to manipulate songs as needed (such as slowing them down or speeding them up- skipping around to parts where a certain chorus adds a particular impact) is very, VERY solid and is usually a perfect alternative to what Roll20 or Foundry would ask of me- which would be to go through a long arduous process of downloading songs and editing them myself usually to sub-par effects- and usually also neglecting any on-the-spot changes that may be required due to the inherent chaotic and unplanned nature of our RPGs.

If we get a feature like this, it would be a wonderful addition to an already rather robust video-audio sharing platform!

Thank you both for sharing this info. If I understand correctly, you would need:

• Player with looping function. Basically with a time slider that has two handles for in and out point?

• A way to somehow persist a loop configuration to a playlist so that it can be started without having to fiddle around with the time slider every time.

On a side note: What would be needed to make Watch2Gether the main tool for your TTRPGS?

Florian

That about sums up what I would personally want! Being able to configure our own playlist so that specific songs can have their loop points saved would be a wonderful QoL feature for sure!

Besides that, we already have W2G as out main tool for our TTRPGs in my group at the very least. Maybe if there was some more compatibility for Roll20 or Foundry but that feels like I’d be asking for too much. I think with loop points being added we’ll be right where we need to be regarding that! Thank you so very much for keeping up to date with this thread from nearly a year ago, haha!

Thanks for your input. I think the looping function itself is not very hard to add. Having that integrated with the playlists is probably a bit more difficult since it requires more additional UI Elements… But maybe two input fields for start / stop time in seconds will do for the beginning. I’ll think about…

Please keep me posted about ideas from the TTRPG community. What a is the main online gathering point for these users. Reddit?

Reddit is usually a good place, yes. I wouldn’t be able to give you a more accurate idea since most of my players were collected from strange places over the internet through disparate discord communities and niche multiplayer games, but if you want to find people specifically interested in TTRPGs then Discord groups, Reddit, and Roll20 are your likely best bets- in that order.